Every election day, thousands of poll-workers, or election judges, give their time to ensure that people are able to vote throughout this country. Yet despite how necessary their work is for American democracy to function, their work is understudied by political scientist. My guest today, Dr. Mara Suttman-Lea is working to rectify that. We spoke about election administration, the reasons why poll-workers give their time, and how covid-19 may affect the administration of the fall presidential election.
- You can learn more about Dr. Suttman Lea’s research by visiting her website: https://marasuttmannlea.com/ and check out her podcast at https://www.whatvotingmeanspod.com/
- Her recently published article on poll-worker decision-making can be found here: Suttmann-Lea, Mara. “Poll Worker Decision Making at the American Ballot Box.” American Politics Research, (May 2020). doi:10.1177/1532673X20920266.
- Interested in becoming an election-day poll worker? Find out more information here.
- Music: https://www.purple-planet.com
- Learn more about the show, and subscribe to our newsletter at www.oxypoli-cast.oxycreates.org
- Learn more about the Politics Department at Occidental College at: https://www.oxy.edu/academics/areas-study/politics